I Saw You Reading

You Are Not Alone

| 0 comments

You, students, have no idea how many people care about you.  Yes, family members — both near and far — but also teachers and community members who want the best for you.

I read this recently:

“Last week my neighbor shared the pain she is feeling for her sister who has a son who is making some bad choices right now. She didn’t say what her nephew is doing. Probably partying or ditching school or breaking his mom’s heart in one way or another. She was really sad for her sister. She cried. And I almost cried. And I’m sure her sister, this mother of a wayward son, has cried. And I thought to myself, this boy has no idea. He has no idea how much people care about him. He has no idea that choices he makes could make his aunt cry. Do you know how often I think about my aunts? Almost never. And if I were about to do something dumb or crazy I would not think about them, for sure. And here we are on the other side of it caring so much about this kid and hoping the best for him.”  (Kacy Faulconer, Every Day I Write the Book)

Oftentimes you might feel that you are going it alone.  Don’t.  Whether you recognize it or not, many of your teachers are your greatest champions.  Like the aunt mentioned above, we are behind the scenes cheering you on and wishing the best for you, wanting to scream, “Can’t you see?!?”  “”Don’t you know how much we care?!”  We are disappointed when you make poor choices and rejoice when you make strides toward success.  Let us be in your corner.  Ask for help — help making decisions, help finding answers, help getting through the day.  We will help.  Take advantage of the people who have been placed in your life to help you get through it.

you_are_not_alone-NAMI

“A little boy was having difficulty lifting a heavy stone.

His father came along just then.

Noting the boy’s failure, he asked, “Are you using all your strength?”

“Yes, I am,” the little boy said impatiently.

“No, you are not,” the father answered.

“I am right here just waiting, and you haven’t asked me to help you.”

– Anon