I Saw You Reading

Words Matter

| 0 comments

“But I love you, and before you say it words do matter. They’re not pointless. If they were pointless then they couldn’t start revolutions and they wouldn’t change history and they wouldn’t be the things that you think about every night before you go to sleep. If they were just words we wouldn’t listen to songs, we wouldn’t beg to be read to when we’re kids. If they were just words, then they’d have no meaning and stories wouldn’t have been around since before humans could write. We wouldn’t have learned to write. If they were just words then people wouldn’t fall in love because of them, feel bad because of them, ache because of them, stop aching because of them…”
― Cath Crowley, Words in Deep Blue

This book is for book lovers and lovers of words and those experiencing grief or first love or unrequited love… But I’m not here to suggest you read it. I’m here to suggest you take the time to underline your favorite words in books. Shhhh. I didn’t say that as a librarian. I’m saying it as a lover of words. But so we don’t get in too much trouble, maybe just make sure you have a post-it note or journal or even just a scrap piece of paper to write down the beautiful words and phrases and passages that cross your path as you are reading. Because words have meaning and they matter and they can change us.